Derek's Blog Page

Can a libertarian curmudgeon survive in a post 9/11 America? Is it possible to create the perfect meal on a Baby Q grill? Will Elaine finally succumb to her innermost desires? Check out my novels - which I am excerpting to separate blogs as I write them. Just click on my Profile button to access their links.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Citrus Heights, California

 

Near Space Press presents Net Assets

 

 

Monday, May 11, 2009

So I've actually had 'hands-on' time with a Kindle 2.

And, I like it. Don't get me wrong. I think the whole concept of an ebook-format linked to a particular device is just plain WRONG! So I'm against the Kindle's Topaz (.tpz) format, but the Kindle is a decent e-ink based ebook reader and I think it will do well.

Of course, I already HAVE two Cybook Gen3s, one (broken) Netronix EB-100 and one Sony PRS-500, so I need another 6" e-ink reader like I need a hole in my head. Thus I haven't BOUGHT a Kindle 2. Now that Kindle DX, which is being released in June, THAT one appeals to me. It's got everything the Kindle 2 has AND a 9.7" display size. The larger size means that PDF ebooks created from trade paperback books, such as you'd find of computer textbooks, display properly with decent font sizes without having to zoom, pan or scroll along each page. Nice!

The $489 price tag may seem a bit off-putting to some people, but please remember that you're typical larger screen e-ink device usually runs about $700-$900 for this display size. Plus, you get storage capacity for 3,500 ebooks!

So click on the title for this post and consider pre-ordering a Kindle DX.

Now for those of you on a tighter budget, I suggest you do what I did. Go to eBay and buy yourself a used Apple iPod Touch. I got a 1st generation model which had been upgraded to version 2.2.1 of the firmware (you need 2.2.1 or newer) and that means the Touch can run almost all the same applications that the iPhone can! I downloaded and registered the FREE Kindle for iPhone app and now I can purchase Kindle ebooks right from my iPod Touch! Cost me just under $100.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home