Derek's Blog Page

Can a libertarian curmudgeon survive in a post 9/11 America? Is it possible to create the perfect meal on a Baby Q grill? Will Elaine finally succumb to her innermost desires? Check out my novels - which I am excerpting to separate blogs as I write them. Just click on my Profile button to access their links.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Citrus Heights, California

 

Near Space Press presents Net Assets

 

 

Sunday, May 31, 2009

What hey! There *ARE* other cross-trainers for obese people!

And if you go to my "I Need A NuStep" blog - a link is in the left column - you'll see that I've found the Elgin Cross Stepper. Except for the non-swiveling seat, I don't see all that much different between the two - function-wise - and it's "only" $3,195! Still far too expensive for me to buy outright, but I've set up a ChipIn donation widget for anyone who'd like to help me buy one (or the NuStep).

Look, anyone who's been reading my blogs knows that I'm 570 pounds, 50 years old (51 on June 4th), and my knees and ankles are so shot that I need a way to do aerobic exercise which doesn't require walking or standing. (Don't ask about swimming, for skin reasons that's out.) There are only three devices 'rated' for me, ranging in price from $2,395 to $5,595 and the 'cheap' one doesn't do both upper- and lower-body workouts. Sigh. And, of course, there are no grants or aid programs to let me buy one straight up, nor do any of the companies offer leasing. Sigh.

It sometimes seems to me that, once you reach a certain weight, people are still willing to bitch at you for being fat, but no one wants to help you get DOWN. (And yes, I have been told by three different physicians that I must lose between 120 and 170 BEFORE they'll let me have gastric surgery. Sigh.)

And thus I'm trying to gain donations so I can buy an aerobic workout machine. I've set the ChipIn goal high enough that I would be able to afford either the Elgin ($3,195) or NuStep ($5,595). But if you're an avid reader, you could just go to my BeBook and/or Kindle associate's/affiliate's page(s) and buy one - that way I get between $22 and $45 but you get a usable device. The links to both pages are in my "I Need a NuStep' blog - linked at the left - but I've also included a ChipIn widget at the end of this column if you just feel like making a donation.

It breaks down like this, 32 people donating $100 gets me an Elgin, 64 people donating $50 or 128 donating $25 accomplishes the same thing. In the same way, 280 people donating $20 would raise enough for a NuStep T5xr. I think I could swing taxes and shipping.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home