Derek's Blog Page

Can a libertarian curmudgeon survive in a post 9/11 America? Is it possible to create the perfect meal on a Baby Q grill? Will Elaine finally succumb to her innermost desires? Check out my novels - which I am excerpting to separate blogs as I write them. Just click on my Profile button to access their links.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Citrus Heights, California

 

Near Space Press presents Net Assets

 

 

Friday, December 25, 2009

So, should you pirate music and e-books?


That is a tough question. Let's examine music. To do so, read the comic I've added to this post. Note that whichever course of action you take, you end up a criminal.

Why? Because music hardware producers want you to buy new hardware. That means they make sure the old stuff wears out or becomes out-of-date; this latter is accomplished by making the newer devices have upgraded features. And as letting you play all your previously-purchased music makes no buck for the music companies, they help out the process by coming up with new music formats - and get the manufacturers to remove support for the old ones. Oops! Now you have to decide to either stick with rapidly failing older devices or shell out once again for the same music you've already paid for.

The same thing is happening in the e-book industry.

What to do? What to do?

Of course, one *could* agitate for DRM-free music and ebooks. Naaaaawwww, what music or publisher would be that stupid?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Opulently I to but I think the collection should have more info then it has.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Derek A Benner said...

I agree, but the cartoon is what I found. Sorry, but I'm not enough a cartoonist to create something like this. :-)

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo, this magnificent idea is necessary just by the way

6:25 AM  
Blogger Derek A Benner said...

I absolutely agree. DRM does more to suppress the sales of ebooks than 'piracy' does. We need to step beyond the DRM.

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home