Derek's Blog Page

Can a libertarian curmudgeon survive in a post 9/11 America? Is it possible to create the perfect meal on a Baby Q grill? Will Elaine finally succumb to her innermost desires? Check out my novels - which I am excerpting to separate blogs as I write them. Just click on my Profile button to access their links.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Citrus Heights, California

 

Near Space Press presents Net Assets

 

 

Monday, September 18, 2006

Me Love Virus (Trojan) - Not! Get Hijack This!

What can I say? I'm amazed at the crud that can sneak onto a (relatively) new machine. I bought my Pentium D, HP Pavilion a1560n just over a month ago and I've managed to keep it clean until this Saturday. That's when a copy of a malicious trojan(virus?) snuck in. It's a variant of vundo and it keeps hijacking my browser, every three minutes or so, to such wonderful websites as MySafeTrip, SysProtect, WinAntiVirus and ManiaTV.

Don't, whatever you do, go to these sites. And be careful about what tools you download to fix the infection. Avast4 (Pro) doesn't even recognize I'm infected. Symantec recognizes it but doesn't effectively clean the infection. Hijack This catches some of it - and I recommend HJT, just click on the title to go to their website and download it. I'd recommend Symantec's but you have to pay to get anything real accomplished and I'm afraid that I'll shell out Yet Another Forty Dollars (what Avast4 Pro cost) and continue to get incomplete results. Part of the solution requires the use of Ewido Anti-Spyware to clean up, but after the first thirty days, that one costs $30... However, even with these tools, it's a frustrating process.

Look, I get (I was a programmer.) the thrill of doing something no-one else can do, or maybe even comprehend. However, I wish that these virus and trojan creators would grow up and find a constructive, creative and positive way to experience that high.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home