Derek's Blog Page

Can a libertarian curmudgeon survive in a post 9/11 America? Is it possible to create the perfect meal on a Baby Q grill? Will Elaine finally succumb to her innermost desires? Check out my novels - which I am excerpting to separate blogs as I write them. Just click on my Profile button to access their links.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Citrus Heights, California

 

Near Space Press presents Net Assets

 

 

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Cybook has a problem with the display!

Line in my Cybook's display.

Great! So there I was uploading a few HTML ebooks that I'd re-formated to Mobipocket and when I was done I unplugged it. At that point, the Cybook switched back from the "I'm plugged in and charging/loading" screen to the main menu. I noticed as it flashed over that there appeared to be a line in my display. So I switched to the images I have on there and sure enough, my Cybook now has a row of dead pixels! Given that I've had this for a little over a week, I'm not a happy camper.

7 Comments:

Blogger basset said...

Maybe that's where the spine of the PB is! (basset ducks and cowers in fear)...
Sorry, couldn't resist!
john
fear the drool, i am basset

6:55 PM  
Blogger Derek A Benner said...

Yeah! That's it! That's where the 'spine' is!

Oh well... And I wonder how long to get a replacement unit... I'll have to have one shipped here *before* I send this one back - it's an engineering sample, after all. I can't be waiting for them to get the unit repaired.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Thorsten Engler said...

Well, could the line have something to do with dropping it from a couple of feet?

9:25 PM  
Blogger Derek A Benner said...

Maybe. But that's not been the case since my Sony was dropped - it went down over four feet. Of course, it was in the softcover at the time, but still - four feet!

And why did it show up today and not four days ago?

11:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello Derek,

It's Michael from Bookeen.

From what you decribed it is an hardware issue, the fall should have fragilized one pixel line connection and it went out few days after the shock.

For information, a cover accessory is available for the Cybook. Unfortunately, we were not able to deliver it when we shipped the device to Derek.

You can send us back the product whenever you want, we will give you a new one.

Best regards,

Michael Dahan
Bookeen

1:02 AM  
Blogger Rose said...

Ok, so the dead line is rather troublesome (to say the least). And yet, seeing that pic, I couldn't help but think to myself, "Man, that screen is white." :/

6:32 AM  
Blogger Derek A Benner said...

Feliza,

Yep. I have to say that the Cybook's screen is crisper and more comfortable on the eyes than the older display used by the PRS-500. I've noticed that the PRS-500 is quite good in daylight and high-strength artificial light situations, but in lower-level light, say from a pair of 60-Watt bulbs, I like the added contrast of the Vizplex screen used in the Cybook. It's getting darker these days and we use those compact fluourescent lightbulbs throughout the house in order to do our part in saving energy.

Thus, because of this, sitting and reading is more comfortable using the Cybook. I share a home with my mother and I have given her the Sony as her primary ebook reader. She loves it because she's no longer tied to the desktop computer, but we've noticed that in lighting situations where I'm okay, she must add one of those LED booklights as the contrast level is less on the Sony's screen.

I hope to capture the difference in my upcoming reference shots.

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home