Derek's Blog Page

Can a libertarian curmudgeon survive in a post 9/11 America? Is it possible to create the perfect meal on a Baby Q grill? Will Elaine finally succumb to her innermost desires? Check out my novels - which I am excerpting to separate blogs as I write them. Just click on my Profile button to access their links.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Citrus Heights, California

 

Near Space Press presents Net Assets

 

 

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Saltation online novel - Miller and Lee Strike Again!

I first discovered Steve Miller and Sharon Lee when their book, "Agent of Change" hit the shelves back in 1988. Right then and there I fell in love with all things Liad, Val Con, Miri and Edger. (What's not to love about a nine-foot-tall, several hundred-year-old, intelligent, star-faring turtle-being? Especially one who loves gifts wrapped in bright yellow paper with a bold, black ribbon!) As soon as "Conflict of Honors" appeared later that year, I snapped it up and plunged into the lives of Shan Yos'Galan and Priscilla Mendoza, thus expanding my involvement in Clan Korval.

Like so many others, I then waited and waited for further stories - which were not immediately forthcoming, publishers being the fickle, myopic and tasteless creatures we all know them to be. Fast forward to the year 1995, when I ran across their third book, "Carpe Diem", in a used-book store. Oh joy, I thought, my life is now complete. Time passed again, slowly. I found no other stories of Clan Korval and Liad until, one day in 2002, I stumbled across Steve and Sharon's website www.korval.com. There I found not only the original three novels but numerous chapbooks containing shorter stories of the lives, adventures and loves of Korval. And as life went along, back in 2007, after much negotiating, Baen Books picked up the rights to release all these stories as ebooks. You can find them in the Webscriptions store at Baen's Books - just click on the Webscriptions in the navigator bar along the top of the page.

Still, Steve and Sharon weren't satisfied with their success and chose to try their hands at online serial novelization, a process where approximately once per week, they'd post a new chapter in their latest novel. All they asked was that if a reader liked the story, would the reader please donate a bit to support the process. And if a reader donated $25 or more, that reader was sure of getting, once the printed version hit the shelves, a signed copy. Needless to say, I donated $30 as soon as I read the first installment of "Fledgling". While "Fledgling" is complete, Theo Waitley's story is not. And so, Steve and Sharon are starting a new serialized novel called "Saltation". Again, if you go there and you happen to like the story, please feel free to put a bit of money in the pot. As with "Fledgling", I've already kicked in my $30, but even a dollar will help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home